Names marked thus have been cross referenced to a family tree included on the website.
The 1881 Census was taken on the night of Sunday 3rd April 1881.
The following information was recorded in the schedules about each dwelling and person residing there on the night of the census:
- the address
- whether the dwelling was "inhabited" or "uninhabited or building"
- name and surname of each person residing at the dwelling on the night of the census
- relationship of each person to the head of the family
- each person's marital status ("condition as to marriage")
- age last birthday and sex
- rank, profession, or occupation
- where born, parish and county (or if born outside of England or Wales, just the country)
- whether they were "blind", or "deaf and dumb" or "imbecile or idiot" or "lunatic"
The information collected was the same as in 1871.
The 1881 Census Data is protected by Crown copyright. The information reproduced here is done so under the waiver set out in HMSO Guidance Notes - Copyright in Public Records.