Names marked thus have been cross referenced to a family tree included on the website.
The 1861 Census was taken on the night of Sunday 7th April 1861.
The following information was recorded in the schedules about each dwelling and person residing there on the night of the census:
- the address
- whether the dwelling was "inhabited" or "uninhabited or building"
- name and surname of each person residing at the dwelling on the night of the census
- relationship of each person to the head of the family
- each person's marital status ("condition")
- age and sex
- rank, profession, or occupation
- where born, parish and county (or if born outside of England or Wales, just the country)
- whether they were "blind", or "deaf and dumb"
The information collected in this census was the same as 10 years before except for an extra piece of information on whether the house was inhabited or not (this had been included in the 1841 census but not in 1851).
The 1861 Census Data is protected by Crown copyright. The information reproduced here is done so under the waiver set out in HMSO Guidance Notes - Copyright in Public Records.