Names marked thus have been cross referenced to a family tree included on the website.
The 1851 Census was taken on the night of Sunday 30th March 1851.
The following information was recorded in the schedules about each dwelling and person residing there on the night of the census:
- the address
- name and surname of "each person who abode in the house on the night of 30th March 1851"
- relationship of each person to the head of the family
- each person's marital status ("condition")
- age and sex. The sex was indicated by the column that the age was recorded in
- rank, profession, or occupation
- where born, parish and county (or if born outside of England or Wales, just the country)
- whether they were blind, or deaf and dumb
There were some changes made to the information that had been collected 10 years before which provide some very important extra information for family historians, each persons marital status, their relationship to the head of family and their place of birth. In addition ages were given as the exact number of years at the previous birthday rather than rounded down to the nearest 5 years.
The 1851 Census Data is protected by Crown copyright. The information reproduced here is done so under the waiver set out in HMSO Guidance Notes - Copyright in Public Records.